This coming Monday 19th September 2022 has been designated as an exceptional public holiday for the state funeral of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
In line with national guidance around continuity of service, NHS Dumfries and Galloway is working to ensure scheduled activities and appointments are maintained wherever possible.
Anyone with a scheduled appointment who is seeking to make changes is asked to get in touch through the contact details which they will have been provided.
- Elective Surgery – Our surgical theatre programme will continue to operate based on clinical priority. Patients will be contacted directly if their appointment needs to be rescheduled. Unless patients hear otherwise, they should attend their appointment on Monday. If patients wish to reschedule due to the State Funeral, they should do so by using the contact details in their appointment letter.
- Outpatient Appointments – We intend to retain as many of our outpatient appointments as possible and patients are advised to continue to attend at their allocated appointment time unless they are contacted directly to reschedule. If patients wish to reschedule, due to the State Funeral, they should do so by using the contact details in their appointment letter.
- Flu and COVID-19 Vaccination Programme – The Flu and COVID-19 vaccination programme will continue on Monday 19 September. Anyone who wishes to reschedule their appointment on the date of the State Funeral should call the local vaccination helpline on 01387 403090 to amend their appointment.
- Medical Practices – Medical practices in Dumfries and Galloway will be closed on Monday 19 September and will re-open on Tuesday 20 September. Anyone who requires these services urgently and cannot wait until they re-open should call NHS 24 on 111.
- General Dentistry – It is anticipated that many Dental practices will be closed on Monday 19 September, reopening on Tuesday 20 September. Anyone who requires these services urgently and cannot wait until they re-open should call NHS 24 on 111.
- Community Pharmacy – There will be limited Community Pharmacy services available on Monday 19 September, with provision being identified for each locality within the region. Details on pharmacy openings will be shared presently on social media and on the website www.nhsdg.co.uk/news. As with any public holiday, people are encouraged to ensure their prescriptions are up to date ahead of closures.
- Optometry practices – Opticians across Dumfries and Galloway will also be observing the public holiday. If you require urgent eye care and it cannot wait until the optometrist reopens, please contact NHS 24 on 111.
Given the short notice ahead of this exceptional public holiday, some services are still putting plans in place ahead of the State Funeral.
We would note that considerable pressures continue to be experienced throughout our systems, and request that people give full thought to the best and most appropriate first point of contact, and are aware of the range of advice and support available.
Any additional information about healthcare services in Dumfries and Galloway, or updates to the information outlined above, will be published on the NHS Dumfries and Galloway website at: www.nhsdg.co.uk and on social media.