What a difference a week can make, after a sparkles performance from Stewartry against a Garnock team who ran in four second half tries last week.

This week it was Stewartry’s turn to come away with a five try performance four of them in the second half when the Blacks beat Kilmarnock by the biggest margin ever in twenty games played between the teams since 1992.


Stewartry had Sharks Finn Harris as lucky mascot for the day.

With the wind and rain blowing over the top of the clubhouse which had been filled for lunch it was left to the hard core supporters to watch the game from outside.

Craig Mosey kicked off and Kilmarnock returned the ball with interest which had fullback Fingland  taking the high up and under and clearing to touch on the halfway.

The game flowed back and forth with both teams playing a good passing game when they were in possession of the ball.

Nine minutes and Mosey’s penalty kick hit the outside of the Kilmarnock left post.

Sixteen minutes Hogg and Boyd drove through the middle of the Killie defence before Austin chipped the ball into touch in the corner.

From the lineout Stevie McCulloch stole the Killie ball and Rory Porteous drove over for the captains second try of the season. The conversion missed.

The Stewartry forwards were urged on by scrum half John Picken with Cannon, Broll and Hogg driving forward into the Killie half but Killie were using the wind advantage and full back John Fingland had to scurry back to touch down before the Killie attacker.

Thirty two minutes and Killie missed a penalty kick chance the ball slipping past.

Minutes to half time pressure from Hogg Austin Broll and Hogg again won the Blacks a penalty which Mosey converted for a Stewartry half time lead 8-0.

Kilmarnock’s kick off did not go ten metres the worst possible start for the Ayrshire men as from the Stewartry scrum win Mosey kicked ahead into the Killie 22.

Forty seven minutes and Mosey kicked a massive clearance kick from 22 to 22. McCulloch continued to dominate in the lineouts which saw Muir take the ball and cut inside for Robert Austin to score the second try. Mosey added the conversion 15-0 Stewartry.

On the hour Kilmarnock hit back and a try and conversion kept them in the game 15-7 Stewartry.

Stewartry kicked off and went straight up the field with Boyd, Austin and Broll giving Andrew Kerr his first try of the season. Mosey added the points 22-7 Stewartry.

Sixty minutes and another McCulloch lineout success saw hooker Danny Boyd burrow over for the fourth bonus point. Mosey converted.

29-7 Stewartry

Kilmarnock never gave up and tackles from Kerr, Maxwell and Milligan kept the line secure. Cunningham and Fingland stopped the Killie wingers final scoring chance.

Seventy eight minutes and the Kilmarnock number twelve was yellow carded finished with fourteen men.

The fifth and final try was straight from the training pitch a success for coach Sandy Currie after the previous week an inter passing move involving Picken, Mosey, Austin back to Mosey who gave Muir an easy run in for a ninth try of the season. Craig Mosey added his twenty ninth conversion of the season.

Full time Stewartry 36 Kilmarnock 7

An excellent result over fourth placed Kilmarnock will be tested this week when Stewartry travel up to play second placed Allan Glens in Glasgow with a 2.00pm kick off.

Stewartry next home game is the Chisholm Cup and league  match on Saturday 27th against local rivals Annan kick off 2.00pm

Latest Articles