Langholm New Town Bowling Club became the latest sports club in Annandale and Eskdale to gain the Sports Club Accreditation Scheme which is administered by the Active Schools and Community Sport Team for Dumfries and Galloway Council.
Sports clubs are an important part of local communities and provide an opportunity for people to enjoy a lifetime of involvement in sport at whatever level they aspire to. The Sports Club Accreditation Scheme aims to support clubs to improve the quality of opportunities and is an effective way for clubs to demonstrate to parents, schools and the wider community that they have achieved nationally recognised minimum criteria in governance, child protection, welfare, equity, first aid and other key areas and operate a safe environment to play sport.
Some of the benefits of being an accredited club include: –
• Evidence that current workforce qualifications are up to date and the club is operating at its best.
• Addressing issues such as equity and child protection should increase parent’s confidence when choosing the correct club for their child.
• Updating policies, training and systems shows increased confidence in local partners including schools and that quality and child friendly systems and procedures are in place.
• Members can be sure their club is a well-managed club, striving to offer the best in coaching and sports development
• Accredited clubs will be in an enhanced position to work in partnership with Active Schools and Community Sport and benefit from a range of support
Chair of Children, Young People and Lifelong Learning Committee, Councillor Jeff Leaver said: “The Sports Club Accreditation Scheme aims to make clubs safer and stronger with recognised standards of welfare, equality, coaching and management. An accredited Club is recognised as a safe, rewarding and fulfilling place for participants of all ages, as well as helping parents and carers know that they’re choosing the right Club for their young people.”
Vice Chair of Children, Young People and Lifelong Learning Committee, Councillor Ros Surtees, said: “Sports Club Accreditation will show that a Club provides the right environment ensuring the welfare of members and encouraging everyone to enjoy sport and stay involved throughout their lives.”