Second Half Turnaround gives Stewartry Victory against Kilmarnock

Last weekend saw Stewartry fight back in the second half after trailing Kilmarnock all the way to halftime turning round 19-27 down in  the Tennents West One league game at Greenlaw, Castle Douglas. Five second half tries for the Blacks with no reply from the Kilmarnock team gave Stewartry a 50-27 win a second in a row in league games. Stewartry have only won twice before in the league in the previous eighteen games.

Stewartry  kicked off with the crosswind advantage but found themselves penalised twice in the first three minutes giving Kilmarnock the chance to breakaway and score a converted try.

Kilmarnock were off and running and continued to press the Stewartry line before scoring out on the right after some slick  passing through their backs. The conversion was added 0-14 to Killie.

Stewartry at last used the wind advantage Muir’s kick carrying to the Killie 22 where Kerr dribbled on to within ten metres of the try line. Picken won possession and put Kerr in for the Blacks first try. Mosey added the conversion.7-14

Killie were not to be outdone and in eighteen minutes had scored try number three the Stewartry defence missing a number of tackles. 7-19 the conversion missed.

Four minutes later and Killie had the fourth bonus point in the bag with another breakaway down the left wing scoring in the corner. 7-24.

Milligan and McCarney started the fight back as the crowd tried to lift the Blacks spirits. A penalty award was kicked to the corner the Blacks won the lineout and the forwards  drove Taylor over for his try. 12-24.

Thirty two minutes and Stewartry started to believe in themselves Kerr and McCarney were leading the way with the backs taking play back and forth across the pitch before Milligan was in for his first try of the season at the posts. Mosey converted. 19-24.

Stewartry continued to give away penalties and Killie added three points just before half time. 19-27 to Kilmarnock.

The referee was asked to change his shirt at half time as it was similar to the Kilmarnock white shirt and he reappeared in yellow which seemed to help Stewartry’s as they were not playing sixteen men.

Stewartry freshened things up at half time with Wilson, Chadwick and Broll but it was Kilmarnock who were disallowed a try before Stewartry’s  Muir gave Picken an easy run in for try number five. Mosey closed the gap to one point with the conversion. 26-27.

Three minutes later the fifty second saw Chadwick steal possession to set Wilson off down the wing for a third try in three games to put the Blacks in the lead for the first time.31-27.

Stewartry won the next lineout with the McCulloch lads setting Kerr off on another run to the Killie 22 backed up by Muir and Wilson for McCarney to score. Mosey added the conversion 38-27.

Another combined Stewartry attack involving Forsyth, Broll , Muir and Picken gave Mosey his try at the posts. He added the conversion


Two minutes to go and the turn around was complete McCarney jinking his way over for his second try set up by Milligan ,Maxwell and Steele to give the Blacks one of the best second half performances for a long time. full time 50-27.

This week Stewartry are away to Dalziel who are bottom of the league and a must win for Stewartry as they try to climb the league. KO 2.00pm

Latest Articles