First Chislom Cup Win For Stewartry Since 2014

Saturday the 4th of January saw the much awaited third meeting between Stewartry Rugby Club and Annan RFC in reasonable conditions for the time of year after the game had been frozen off in December.


Stewartry were looking to complete a third win over their local rivals in a single season which would be a first ever between local clubs.  Tennent’s West One League points were at stake as was the Annan RFC sponsored Chisholm Cup which Stewartry lead 13 -6 from the first leg at Violet Bank in September.

A good sized crowd had gathered for the kickoff with mascot for the day Ryan Hind leading the teams out.

From the kick off Annan took  play to the Stewartry 22 putting early pressure on the Blacks line. Stewartry  pushed back to half way with Doug Boyd and T J McCarney driving forward. Stewartry had one attack down the right before James Bingham converted a second penalty award in ten minutes for Annan. A quick penalty from Captain Picken took Milligan and Boyd into the Annan 22 before Bingham cleared long to the Stewartry 22.

The next Stewartry penalty on half bore fruit  with Hogg, Picken and McGuire setting young Fraser Forsyth in with a clear run to the try line. The conversion missed. 5-3 Blacks.

Stewartry were immense in the scrums taking a number against the head or spoiling any decent ball for Annan.

Twenty six minutes and good play down the left wing saw Jason Forsyth break clear passing inside to Mick  McCulloch who set Stevie McCulloch in for the second try. Mosey added the conversion. Stewartry continued to dominate the first half and a number of missed scoring chances left Annan only 12-3 behind at half time.

Annan started the second half on the front foot but it was Stewartry who had the first scoring chance Boyd knocked into touch in the corner. The next penalty line out was won by Stevie McCulloch passing to TJ McCarney who took off on a mazy run before passing to Fraser Forsyth giving the youngster an easy run in for his second try. The conversion came of the post. 17-3 Blacks.

On fifty minutes the referee brought the two Captains together for chat to cool things down.

Stewartry continued to press the into the Annan half the Blacks scrum disrupting any Annan advantage from their put in winning good ball which allowed full back Craig Mosey to out sprint the Annan backs for bonus point clinching fourth try. He added his own conversion 24-8.

On the hour James Park scored a try for Annan out near the corner. The conversion was missed and although Stewartry played out the  last fifteen minutes in their own half they were strong in defence to stop anymore scores.

Five vital league points taking the Blacks back up to third in the league wiining  the Chisholm Cup for the first time since 2014 and a third win in a season over any club in the clubs fifty year history.

This week Stewartry are back at Greenlaw with second placed Allan Glens the visitors for a 2.00pm kick off.

Latest Articles