Last League Game Of Season Ends In Defeat For Stewartry

LAST LEAGUE GAME Stewartry 2019

Stewartry’s season petered out to a poor finish with only one league win since the start of 2019 out of six games played.. The Blacks have never won at Garnock in ten games since the first game in 1973.


The wet and windy conditions did not help their cause against a very aggressive Garnock were looking to stay in the promotion hunt after slipping to fourth place.

Stewartry kicked off and the ball was soon in the Garnock goal area and touched down. Garnock cleared their lines and within the first three minutes had kicked a penalty to touch in the corner winning the lineout and scored at the posts 7-0.

Stewartry made some progress but Spence had to put in a strong tackle to stop a second Garnock score. This only slowed things down when in ten minutes others in the Black shirts failed to stop the next Garnock charge for a second try. The conversion missed.

12 -0.Garnock

A further third try was scored in eighteen minutes Stewartry kicking possession away in the windy conditions and Garnock attacking through the middle to score at the posts the conversion being added. 19-0 Garnock.

Stewartry came more into the game in the second quarter and Maxwell had his try disallowed  the referee being unsighted!!.

Half time 19-0 to Garnock.

Stewartry rejigged the lineup for the second half but chances were few and far between for the Blacks although Wilson and Muir made good progress up the wings. In forty eight minutes the game boiled over both teams taking on each other without the ball as the referee lost all control.

Once it had cooled down and restarted it was Garnock who gained a bonus point fourth try conversion missed 24-0.

Stewartrys Taylor was injured and replaced by long term injured Steven Hogg who was making his comeback and soon taking the game to Garnock before being rewarded with a first try for the Blacks John Picken converted.24-7 Garnock.

Storm Freya came in with a vengeance in the last ten minutes with a downpour . Garnock added a final two tries in the rain as most of the crowd made for the shelter of their cars. The first out in the corner was not converted and the second was a penalty try award by the referee his final act of the game. Fulltime 36-7 to Garnock who deserved the bonus point win with their robust performance.

Stewartry hope to try and get their local cup games with Newton Stewart, Wigtownshire and Dumfries played before the end of the season.