Stewartry Back on winning form with win against Lenzie

Stewartry Rugby Club had to battle against the heavy rain and windy conditions at Greenlaw on Saturday the 7th of December to overcome a stuffy Lenzie team who were promoted last season from Tennent’s West Two.


Lenzie were last at Greenlaw in 2016 and from the kickoff they pushed Stewartry right back to their try line before Mosey cleared to touch.  A first minute penalty was kicked to touch by Lenzie a good jump by McCulloch for the Stewartry saw them steal the line out and Mosey again cleared to half way.

Lenzie again lost the lineout when  Danny Boyd won a loose ball taking play into the Lenzie half for the first time for the Blacks.

Mosey continued to clear his line in the windy conditions just bouncing the ball into touch in the corner. Lawrence then tried his luck with a kick ahead from half way but it  overshot the dead ball line. The game saw both teams attacking when in possession but the wet conditions were making it difficult to keep hold of the ball and the number of scrums were mounting. Stewartry’s light weight  scrum more than held their own winning a number against the head.

A number eight pick up from Hogg seen him and Austin take play to in front of the Lenzie posts for a penalty award which Mosey converted 3-0.

Lenzie soon hit back with a five metre penalty award as the Blacks defended their line for a number of Lenzie phases before a wide pass out left put the winger in for a try. The kick was missed. 3-5 Lenzie lead.

Stewartry had their best spell with Maxwell and Root winning lineouts for Douglas Boyd to win two penalties the second won converted by Mosey. 6-5 Blacks.

Mosey continued to attack the Lenzie defence with high clearance kicks that were finding the touch line with their final bounce.

A penalty award at he restart for a high tackle on Hogg saw Mosey’s kick beaten by the windy conditions. Stewartry kept the pressure on and were rewarded  with a try from Rory Porteous his first of the season on his return to the game after a broken jaw earlier in the season. The conversion missed. 11-5 Blacks.

From then until the end Stewartry took control for the last ten minutes keeping the ball tight and running the clock down to secure the win in a hard fought game by two teams who had battled through the worst conditions this season. Fulltime 11-5 Stewartry.

Man of the match for Stewartry was Stevie McCulloch and the mascot was Gregor Virtue from the minis.


This week Stewartry are away to newly crowned West Region Shield winners East Kilbride. ko 2.00pm.

The next two home games at Greenlaw are Saturday 28th December Stewartry  v Presidents ko 2.00pm


A rearranged date for the Tennant’s West One League game has been agreed for Saturday 4th January 2020 Stewartry v Annan plus playing the second leg for the Chisholm Cup Stewartry ahead 13-6 from the first leg.


Merry Christmas to all Stewartry supporters and Sponsors and a Guid New Year.


Latest Articles