The first acts for Knockengorroch Festival 2020 have been announced and will include an exciting array of traditional, electronic and world music acts, bringing sounds from around the globe to the hills of Galloway.
Thousands of people are expected to enjoy Scotland’s longest running greenfield festival, Knockengorroch, in the beautifully secluded Carsphairn hills in May 2020.
Acclaimed European and African based collective Afro Celt Sound System are among the first acts to reveal they will journey to the unique festival in South West Scotland to perform their trademark driving afro house, drum and bass beats, bold west African brass and exuberant electronic rhythms and bass lines.
Combining folk traditions of different cultures in a unique and innovative way, Afro Celt Sound System have forged a reputation for energetic, uplifting shows featuring contributions from a host of outstanding musicians from around the world.
With a host of fantastic international roots musicians still to join the bill, other highlights among the first acts to be announced include:
- Kel Assouf, who will bring his unique blend of Tuareg roots and Psychedelic rock to Knockengorroch. With one foot in the Sahara and the other in Europe, Kel melts the African trance rhythms with the energy of vintage rock.
- Scottish favourites Shooglenifty will get crowds on their feet with their electric tunes and a full-on set of old favourites as the band celebrate 30 years together.
- A dazzling, joyfully electric mix of contemporary and traditional tunes paired with beefy, powerful accompaniment celebrating Gaelic, Americana, country and pop from The Poozies.
- Some of Scotland’s finest musicians, Moishe’s Bagel, will perform their thrillingly original cutting-edge klezmer and world folk music, blending Eastern European dance music and Middle Eastern rhythms.
Knockengorroch Festival organiser, Liz Holmes, said: “The line-up for our 34th festival reflects the mix of traditional and electronic music from home and abroad which makes this festival so special and we’re very excited to unveil the first names on our bill for next year. We can’t wait to welcome familiar and new faces back to the event in May to experience the diversity, inclusiveness, liberating atmosphere and musical celebration of Knockengorroch.”
Other artists confirmed for Knockengorroch so far include:
- Bristol nine-piece band Cut Capers showcasing a swinging vintage-style brass section with funk, soul and hip-hop.
- Live dance music favourites The Inexplicables will bring their blending of styles ranging from hip hop and reggae to jungle and drum ‘n’ bass to the festival.
- Internationally renowned Glasgow-based soundsystem and long term Knockengorroch stalwarts, music production collective Mungo’s Hi Fi will bring Jamaican music styles with the sounds of UK club to the hills of Galloway.
The festival will also feature environment and heritage workshops and activities, dancing, comedy, theatre shows, arts and crafts and lots for the kids.
With many more acts to be announced, the full dance tent line-up will also be revealed in the coming months and festival goers can expect cutting edge tunes the length and breadth of these islands.
Knockengorroch, Scotland’s south west camping festival will be held from Thursday 21 to Sunday 24 May 2020. Tickets are on sale now, visit www.knockengorroch.org.uk.